Tuesday, May 6, 2008

2007/2008 Mosts

Finally finished my last ‘final exam’ paper, and there goes for my first year in the university. At here, I will going to show out what I have and some of my friend’s opinion about the 2007 and 2008’s most in my first year’s university life regarding to my own experience on the lectures that I have.

1st: Most respective lecturer(s) (not in order)

1. Mr. Kasim

As a dean of a school, yet his teaching style is fairly into an extremely fee method. Not controlling the rules and also no ego sensed from him (he is Prof. Madya). It is hard to find such sporting lecturer at his education level, as y’ can see.

2. Mr. Lourdes

One of my TESL lecturers that teaches two of my subject (I am into those subject too). Having a special way of teaching, as a teacher’s trainer and also a numerous Master certificate holder, his personality and the way we tolerate is unusually special. Both courses that have well-known to be hard seem to be not so hard under his lecture.

3. Mdm. Junaidah

Previously is a Phonology lecturer of TESL courses. Now she is undergoing for her PHD. The way she treats of the students and her fairness, as well as the slow-and steady way (even though I cannot catch it) and her strictness makes me have a respect on her.

4. Prof. Consuelo

She is a Spanish lecturer of my school. Another sporting lecturer – I can say, with using of psychological way to teach us. Even though I did laughed on her because she cannot speak English well, but now it seems that I have changed my mind – she still learning English regardless of the age, and yet I am still young, there should be a way for me to get my Spanish better…

2nd: Most disappointed lecturer

Only one: my dean. As seen in the respective lecturer’s list he is not deserved on it on my place – the way he teaches and assessing homework can be say is too strict and his lectures are mainly ‘syok-sendiri’. Having his 14 lectures in the previous semester still doesn’t get what is the thing he is going to talk about. The way of assessing assignments either you got an acceptable (but not good) mark or in 0. That’s all.

Another one which I heard from my friends: the current replacement lecturer for 07/08 Sem-2 of Phonology after Madam Junaidah leaves for further study. It seems that this guy has a kind of bad reputation as he also loves to boast himself with the quote:

“You can find my article anywhere in the website.”

Well… Yeah, it seems that we can also found it in the rubbish dump as my opinion… You can also find my blog in the website too, include Friendster, duh.

3rd: Course Rating (main):

Quite a number of courses that I have taken in this year, and I will list out all of them with some of the course name are simplified so that it will not showing that I am insulting.

1. Phonology

Toughness: D

Ruthlessly tough! I am unable to follow the correct pronunciation of English and now I need to study the syllables!

Lecture: B

Since the tutorial helps me, so it helps me at least a bit in the later of this course so I no need to suffer from knowing nothing in this course as the later thing in this course no need memorizing a lot.

Respect: S

Madam Jun is the lecturer; she is extremely fair and never loves flattery. Like the ways of judging of her.

2. Education Philosophy

Toughness: E

I don’t know what the point on studying this is. It is not possible that we going to talk about philosophy to our students in the future, eh? This is not only tough but also boring. The slides divided into around 5 parts with each part around 20-60 slides, and the final is 100 questions consisting of 13*5*20=1200 slides to study. Assignment is also not easy to score as you only have a week to find out all the things – you have done it does not mean you have got your marks.

Lecture: D

Not even understand a thing from what he says, and I did fell asleep one on the lecture. Mainly is on ‘syok sendiri’.

Respect: C

Nah... Because he is the dean so I should show at least a little respect at him. I am wondering if it compares to the dean of another school about this…

3. Listening/ Speaking Skills

Toughness: B

LS studied once in a semester, luckily the thing not too tough and not a lot of theories need to be memorized. Variability of assignment at here helps too.

Lecture: C

Hard to understand my lecturer talking about, as she is teaching something that is too obvious and not special thing.

Respect: B

Respectable, I think. At least she did helps us a lot and gives us a lot of time to settle with our assignment, though I don’t like the way she commence the lecture, but not the tutorial.

4. Reading Skills

Toughness: B

Seems this is quite easy as it is mainly about reading skills. Not a lot of theories need to be used and mostly based on the experience and common sense of ours when we are students in the earlier age.

Lecture: A

Enjoy it! No tutorial and all of the things are managed to be finished in time.

Respect: S

Never judge a person from outside. This is what I have experienced from the way of the lecturer and his personality – Mr Lourdes. Because of him, the lectures that we have is seems to be easier to understand as he uses different way to teach us.

5. SLA

Toughness: B

I heard that it is quite tough among the TESL course. Maybe the lecturer is different (in the Sem-1 is another lecturer, then is Mr. Lourdes) The theories is quite difficult to understand but thanks to him, it seems that we can understand on the theories easier than before. Phew!

Lecture: A

The reason is same as above.

Respect: S

The reason is same as above. (Read the Section 4)

6. Economic Thought

Toughness: B

This might not be too hard for me, as I have studied economics in Form 6, so it does not pose a threat for me. The way of his marking will make your life easier – just the homework is quite a lot.

Lecture: A

Mr. Kasim is the lecturer and he is one of my respectable lists. The way he teaches is really hard to be said that “is he really the dean?” and I did leave early due to some of the reason and he simply accepts it.

Respect: S

Again, cannot judge a person from outside. He is the second lecturer proves this theory.

Below are the special listed courses of mine…

7. Literature, Gender

My disappointing lecture. This has caused my pointer of my result in previous semester has dropped. The lecture is not too tough, but the thing – I missed my final. This is the fact and of course a C+ for me deservable. But the thing is why I am still taking the retake of the final exam and wasted my RM50 to let the lecturers furious about this if the beginning that you let me know the marks of my retake paper is no count. It seems that is no sense for I am studying and strive for the resit of this paper and my money if you let me know this earlier (what is the point for the retake paper then?). Sigh.

8. Literature, Language Learning

This is my most surprising lecture for the year. She started the first lecture with

“Literature… is an art.”

Instead of greeting, the appearance of this lecturer is so surprising too.

9. Spanish

I love the lecturer and the way she teaches, but since that the grammar is the main point here, it makes the way for me to study this is extremely tough. I need to focus on grammar and ended up with less vocabulary and that is the reason I fails in this subject. As the verbs changed according to pronunciation, it makes me to confuse on the words that I am going to use for the answer.

10. TITAS and Malaysia Studies

Seems as an important course, but I don’t know what I have studied in these two courses as the lecturer always mention different things. Y’ know the two popular lecturers of these courses, they always taking nonsense rather than the lecture. After all, these papers are not so tough. No need to worry so much on that.

11. Internet Networking

This is the course that how I get into the creation of my blog in here. I need to thanks to her anyway – even I don’t know that how many readers have actually read through this. Anyway, thanks. Madam Siti Hasnah.

I guess that’s it, and I will continue on this and thinking on the next material since this has already cost too much words here.

P/S: As mentioned (again), this is the opinion ONLY and nothing to do with the flaming or insulting as I never intended to put someone's name that I dislike directly as I am just expressing my thought and opinion (later I will be said as insult). Since I have the hint inside, so up to you to guess who is the lecturer, and I guess you can figure out.

No comments: